Friday, April 15, 2011

why I do not enjoy living in the USA

The short answer is: it's simply a horrible place to live

(Even if you have a relatively comfortable life, the lack of solidarity would drive me up a wall....that's one reason why I actually despise so-called 'university towns'....)

Regular readers of this blog will, I hope, understand the acronym GMOOH It's really the way I feel--really for a zillion reasons. I am very unhappy here, in this city, in this country. I don't wish to be part of the militarism, or the puritanism, or other things equally ugly. I am much taken by Robert Paul Wolff's recent mention of the "inner exile" of dissidents in Russia...it sounds very appealing. However, I will point out one way in which I find social/cultural/personal life here in the USA infinitely inferior to that of Central Europe. If I go to a social event (in my case a dance class, but it could be anything) in Vienna or Bratislava, I will meet (by chance) people in the tram or train on the way there. and on the way home, it was quite usual for me to share a bus or tram or train with someone. This made possible many short, but pleasant conversations. There is no such pleasure in the United States of America. Everybody comes in their own individual climate-destroying monstrosity, and everybody goes home in the same monster. Alienation. Isolation. Two words that VERY MUCH fit my unhappy experience of the country which has more destructive than creative power....

No comments:

Post a Comment