Sunday, April 10, 2011

hell on earth

I cannot say, and will not attempt to imagine to what extent my life is representative of the "average american"...

nonetheless
my life for the past eighteen months has been hell

It has been characterized by extreme social isolation
such as I never experienced in Eastern Europe
extreme social isolation
as my friends in Europe could not imagine

Perhaps, they tell me, this would be experienced by someone in a village

But even then, I'll bet that the isolation is not so extreme

and this social isolation is PAINFUL

and it is experienced by all of my family members
because they live in "suburbs"

But they do not recognize that it is abnormal, unhealthy, etc.

THis is the product of the automobile,
and its excessive use in the USA

note to self: Erik Olin Wright and Joel Rogers have some nice charts about
automobile usage in the USA versus other countries.

I am dying here.
This sort of social isolation is TORTURE, akin to solitary confinement.

and worst of all
to escape this isolation
even a little bit
means being a climate criminal....

RECOMMENDED READING
Eric Olin Wright and Joel Rogers
American Society; How it Really Works, ww norton 2011
Chapter Six, "Transportation"
pre-publication draft at

No comments:

Post a Comment