Tuesday, April 5, 2011

to a friend in Slovakia

I have an American friend currently living in Slovakia. He often complains about the bureaucracy there.... This is sort of an open letter to him: Dear xxxx, Please don't tell me about how bad Slovaks are, that they are impolite, etc. Today I was insulted in a way that I have never been insulted in Slovakia, where I lived for about eleven years as a non-citizen. Yes, it was bad dealing with the so-called "foreign police", but nothing I was ever dished out in Slovakia equals the insults I have had to endure at Walgreens, with the daily time wasted waiting in line, the constant demand that I prove I have a right to medications, etc. All very insulting. But tonight I received the most arrogant and narrow-minded insult of all---in response to the suggestion that someone had made a mistake. Understand me well: I have been insulted in Slovakia, but never with this kind of self-righteous arrogance. In Slovakia, it was all a game--or it was mostly. Even the people acting out dramatically knew what they were doing. You could say they were more cynical than Americans. This particular American actually seems to believe the bullshit lie propagated by Walgreens that they are doing us a favor.... I am a citizen of the USA, and I dare say my English is fluent. In Slovakia, I was a foreigner and my Slovak was, at best, intermediate level; but I was never offended there as I have been offended here in the country of my birth, in the place where I have citizenship. Yes, officials there might not particularly like me and might show some nastiness, but I never had the feeling that there was such dogmatic self-righteousness behind it--and that makes the whole business infinitely more ugly.....

No comments:

Post a Comment