Thursday, April 21, 2011

ugly el paso

OH, I hate it here!
The ugliness of the buildings.
They are all so LOW.
Next to your neighbor. They see everything you do.
You can almost reach out and touch their house.

And then all the trucks. Noisy. and ugly

Culture? When I think of this place, I think of trucks, big trucks
and the sun----not people..

Are they proud of the enormous trucks? Do they really just ignore the
fact of climate change?

Not to mention the health consequences of always driving...

the smell of grease from the places that sell cooked food...

all ugly....

BUT WHat about PETRZALKA? (see Note below)

What about the way you could look across the road and see hundreds of windows?

Well that didn't bother me. Frankly, it didn't bother me because there were so many.
Oh yes, there was one man, a bald fat man, who seemed to always be on his balcony
smoking...
No matter where I lived...
That was bad, but not so oppressive as this: low buildings, low ceilings, and no
possibility of escape...

because all of the buildings here are so goddamn UGLY
like the places where I shop: UGLY

tall buildings? yes, those owned by the oppressors, those owned by banks...

in so many ways...

oh so many ways...

simply ugly....

no other word will do...

NOTE
Petrzalka is a suburb of Bratislava, where the blogger has lived. (He has lived in Bratislava
both in and out of Petrzalka.) When I lived in Petrzalka, people, trying to make a joke
would ask, "Are there any trees there?". It is a suburb which consists largely of high rises.
It is unusual only in that there are so many of them. (Ugly, functional, tall apartment buildings....) (I believe the population numbers around
150,ooo, but don't quote me.) Most people find it ugly and frightening, but when I lived
there my life, overall, was either better or no worse than my current life in the United States. At any rate, I was less socially isolated and there was public transport.....

No comments:

Post a Comment