Wednesday, April 6, 2011

my dissatisfaction with walgreens and other adventures

Oh yes, notice how polite I'm being. My dissatisfaction--as if the problem were mine! ha ha
Yes, it is mine, but not only mine...


I was sternly rebuked over the phone the other day... by a Walgreens Pharmacist.

He accused me of "talking crazy".

What "crazy" things did I say?

Well, you see, my father has two doctors prescribing him the same medicine,

and recently one of them changed the dosage. And, moreover,

I dropped off the prescription.... but, somehow walgreens lost it!

"There is no record of a new prescription here."

(or words to that effect)

"Well in that case, your computer is in error."

YOU DON'T HAVE TO START TALKING CRAZY!


The man was personally offended, as if I had said,...

"God does not exist."


Or,


"America is not really a democracy, but only a plutocracy, with a rather stale

democratic theater....a bit of a farce really.."


But no, whilst those two propositions are both true, it was neither of them I had expressed,

thus obeying the American BAN on religion and politics...


No, I had merely said that the local branch of the great and poweful and rich business

owned by Mr.and Mrs. Wallgreens had made a mistake..


Ah, but that is unsayable.....crazy.......


to be continued...

contined Saturday 9 April:

What I've not said is this: Last Saturday, 7 April, I visited Walgreens to obtain a necessary medicine for my father.

He had two tablets left: one for Saturday, and one for Sunday. So, on Monday he would run out.

The woman I spoke to informed me that she would be unable to fill the prescription, that there

had been an error made by someone at Walgreens, and that she would have to phone up someone/something called the "Black Box" on Monday. She knew my father was going to run out, and that this was needful.

When I returned on Monday, first I had to wait in a long line for twenty to twenty-five minutes. But, notice, I had been expecting the medicine to be ready--on the basis of my conversation on Saturday.

It was not ready, and I had to go through the same story/discussion all over again.

Now there are plausible reasons why the woman I spoke to Saturday did not make the call on Monday, but the point I am making is about how much time I wasted before I was insulted by the manager.

I returned to wait in line again, for another twenty minutes...

So, all told I must have wasted an hour of time on Monday, in addition to my needless trip on Saturday.


And on top of all that, I was insulted.

Medicines should be free or very cheap, cheap enough for everyone to afford without hardship. Private companies which handle medical care should not exist. It is immoral to make a profit off human weakness. Walmart may be a legal entity given the existing laws of the USA, and it may be considered acceptable within a capitalist economy. But I draw the conclusion that there could be a better economy, without private for-profit entities like Walgreens. In words, morally speaking Walgreens is a wholly illegitimate entity. It exists for one reason only: to increase the profits of the already rich, and only secondarily to provide a social benefit. That is the way of capitalist economies. Obama was right to think we need a change, a real change, not his sort of change...

No comments:

Post a Comment