Sunday, April 10, 2011

Profile

I've added my profile to this blog. I regret that it must be so short. I would have liked to have added, e.g., the following: My father attended college on the "GI Bill"--after World War Two, as a veteran. Otherwise, his life (and mine as well) would have been very different--in fact, much worse. That's a shame. Education is a right. It should be free and universal. In fact, one of the most shameful stories I've heard was something my father told me. His high school counselor (so-called) told my father that his father (my grandfather) could not afford to pay for a college education for his son. Probably the man thought he was simply "telling it like it is". I beg to differ. He was endorsing an unjust system, and playing a part in it. By this act (which he probably imagined to be honesty), he was endorsing the system, supporting it, and making it out to be less ugly than it actually is. (Yes, I do mean is, not was.) But all of that is part of a much longer story, which can only be briefly and accidentally touched upon at this blog. Sometimes, the most important thing is to recognize the wrongness of something, and creatively find a way to absent one's self, or not to participate.....but plainly that man in the past had not realized it.

No comments:

Post a Comment