Saturday, May 14, 2011

Walgreens: a place of insults and condescension

HOW BLUE CROSS AND BLUE SHIELD WORKS TOGETHER WITH WALGREENS TO MAKE THE LIFE OF THE ELDERLY UNPLEASANT

I am beginning to form a negative impression of the employees at Walgreens.
It is not that I have no ability to imagine the desultory nature of their job.
But, the pharmacists in particular have now twice taken a rather haughty and contemptuous attitude toward me and my mother--speaking to us as if we were stupid.

A week ago I attempted to fill a prescription for my mother. My mother is eighty-four years old. She has severe arthritis and a degenerative condition in her spine which together produce extreme pain. There is, however, a rather expensive pain medication which provides her with significant relief. And, it was that medicine which I attempted to get for her exactly one week ago, the Saturday just before "Mother's Day".

So far as I could tell from consulting the label on the empty bottle of this pain reliever, my mother was entitled to another refill. However, when the Pharmacist looked at her computer screen, she was told that the doctor must speak to the Insurance Company.

In other words, someone at the Insurance Company did not like the fact that this medicine is "too expensive".

I learned this on a Saturday, a day when it is not possible to phone up the doctor.

I complained a bit, and the Pharmacist expressed her endorsement of "free enterprise" with words to the effect that PRIVATE insurance companies can do whatever they want, since after all, that's the point of being private. I consider that a ripe piece of nonsense, but I don't want to go into it now.

A week later, and the problem has not been solved--despite two phone calls from the doctor in question.

Without going into further detail, this is a clear example of how the system in the USA is designed to deny care, to make needed medicines difficult to acquire, to force elderly and ill people to BOW DOWN before the mighty GOD OF PROFIT.

the usa a modern BABYLON! (please ignore irrelevant associations with the USA invasion, occupation and pillage of Iraq, and instead open the file in your brain marked "the poetry of William Blake")...

the usa: not civilized and not even nice....

gmooh

No comments:

Post a Comment