Sunday, May 22, 2011

ugly el paso

Well, I've been thinking about it...
and yes..
I would say
El Paso, Texas is the ugliest place I've ever lived in.....
the most unfriendly
the most unpleasant
the worst food
the worst weather
the worst public transport

Let's put it like this:
engaging in unwanted conversation with a young man working in a gas station
where I'd gone to buy milk
I found him urging me to donate a penny to a worthy cause
whereupon I told him "no" as a matter of principle
don't ask me
ask bill gates or the man who owns the company you are working for
because their lunch money is going to be more than the spare change
of everyone you know and everyone I know put together

which, of course, was incomprehensible to him (tho not to you dear reader)
because his response (as if he hadn't heard a word I'd said)
was to put a penny of his own in the container.....

(No, he didn't understand when I told him it was a matter of "principle"....)

This then leading to a very brief exchange ending with his words,
as he stared at his mobile phone, no doubt eager to receive a message
from the girlfriend who will meet him around the corner for a burger and fries
before going to park....

"Well, I like it here!"

But, of course the question is not whether you like it here or not, but what you're basing your judgment on: have you ever actually lived anywhere else?
But that might interfere with the USA custom of confidently expressing one's opinion and thereby proving one's freedom and happiness, no matter how lacking in a basis in reality that opinion might be....

No comments:

Post a Comment