Friday, May 27, 2011

DOKTOR PENDEJO,the neurologist

warning for the sensitive: I think I was pretty annoyed, and stewing in my own juices when I wrote the following...... Moreover, given the complexities of the situation, it's hard to know what really happened or if I was being fair. Nonetheless, I think there's something to be said for the idea that the doctor-patient consultation is such a bizarre situation, and too one-sided, so that we have a right to our reactions--- The system is screwed up starting from the fact that we go to the doctors, and not the other way around. The entire system is hierarchic in a way that takes away one's control/power, and that rightly deserves criticism... My greatest doubt about what's written below is that I don't know what's actually in the mind of the doctor who pissed me off..., subject to this background......and caveats.....

MEMORIES OF A SMILE
Some people are too arrogant to hear the truth, for example my father's neurologist,
who I fondly refer to as "Dr. Asshole".

My mother tried to explain her sincere concern about a diagnosis of Parkinsons...
She said we'd bought books.
I corrected her. He'd bought only one.
But we'd also looked on the web, and we had also checked books out of the library. And I had corresponded with the friend of a friend who was diagnosed with Parkinsons many years ago.

Doctor Asshole smiled at my mother. I shouldn't have corrected her. How dare he so much as smile? Only one book purchased----that's no crime
We did what we could to learn. Do we deserve his contempt, his haughty superiority?

How could I be so foolish as even to give this haughty man ammunition? My mother's mistake was a natural one: we'd surveyed several books, looked around at several sites, even if we'd only purchased one book. Our attempt was a serious one within the limits we live with. NOthiing to be scorned. Undeserving of that smug little smile.

For god's sake, man, you should be apologizing for now changing the diagnosis. Haughtily saying you no longer think its Parkinsons. Have you any idea about the effect of your words on ordinary people? Do you even care? Or is it all about your ego, your superiority, your so-called knowledge?

I suppose that all of his medical books during his training were purchased? Was he that rich?
Is he that rich now?

Well, we are not. We are not rich. Nor are most Americans. And it is nothing to sneer at.

The man has earned his nickname: Doctor Asshole, Senor Pendejo.

Your arrogance is ugly and distracts from whatever knowledge and skill you may possess.

Every vist to your office is an enormous exercise in disdain and contempt......

It's a pity I don't believe in Hell....

No comments:

Post a Comment