Monday, May 30, 2011

the Democracy Movement in Spain

It happens that I know creative young people in El Paso, one of whom could think of
no better theme for a choreographic composition than drunkenness, alcohol.

I wonder. If you have the time to create, and if you have the resources to actually create a dance (dancers willing to work for free and you have a space to move in---no matter how inferior and sub-standard that free space is), and
you, being twenty-one years old can think of nothing better than that!??!

Ah, but the interesting thought is how under the influence of alcohol, one becomes first friendly and then...not, even sick.......

Don't get me wrong. Alcohol could be a theme, a legitimate topic, but it all depends upon how it is treated.....

Dare I say what I am thinking? That this is a theme (so far as I have seen it treated) worthy of a twelve or thirteen year-old and not a twenty-one year old? Dare I say that among my high school students in Bratislava I witnessed more sophistication about alcohol? And, if so, wouldn't that be not a matter of individual responsibility but, rather, cultural forces---the severe hostility toward pleasure in Puritan culture as well as the absence of a public transport system and the extended geography of a constellation of buildings such as is EL Paso. (Yes, I mean that: I don't regard El Paso as a city at all; merely a shapeless concatenation of buildings....)

Is it to be explained as a reaction to American Puritanism? Does it not represent an intensely egotistic focus? As if there were nothing more important......

And, consider, by contrast the young people of Spain who are, today, giving all of us an example....

I am adding a link now to the Manifesto of the movement (in English),'

¡Democracia Real YA!

No comments:

Post a Comment