Saturday, May 14, 2011

Chapin High School Theater

Friday evening I attended a rehearsal at the theater of Chapin High School in El Paso Texas.

The dirty condition of the theater was shocking. It looked as though it had not been used for many months.

Perhaps that should not matter, but I paid for use of the theater. (I and the other members of the cast were charged a fee to cover rental of the theater.)

This is a shocking state of affairs. The arts, including, theater are essential to civilization.
But apparently the governors, managers, or bosses at Chapin High School do not care
about civilization.

Americans believe themselves superior to other nations, but I see zero evidence of any superiority whatsover in the USA. In fact, among the nations thought inferior are the nations called "Eastern" (sic) Europe. I've been the backstage of theaters in Eastern Europe. Most were cleaner than the backstage of the theater at Chapin High School. (Indeed those theaters actually had dressing rooms--unlike Chapin H.S. theater.....)

Hence, again I feel justified when I describe El Paso as a desolate backwater, a lonely outpost on the edges of a cruel (and uncivilized) empire....

GMOOH

No comments:

Post a Comment