Sunday, May 29, 2011

Patriotism in USA and SK

The Patriotic (Nationalistic) American says, "I love my country!"

If you say, "Have you ever lived anywhere else?"-- and the answer is invariably "no".....
he is irritated and annoyed.

The Patriotic (Nationalistic) Slovak says, "Our girls (women) are the most beautiful in the world."

It doesn't matter if he's been anywhere else, but Slovaks seem to travel more than citizens
of the USA. (Yes, I know Europe is more compact.) And if the Slovak has been to the United Kingdom where obesity is dominant (as in the USA) he is sure that Slovak girls (women) really are better.

But given the evils of militarism and climate change denial, somehow I prefer the Slovak's pride to the American's pride......

Actually I did talk to Slovak friends about the propensity for not very well travelled countrymen of theirs to proclaim the beauty of "our" (their Slovak) girls ('women' for the USA audience)---and he readily acknowledged that such sentiments would naturally be most prominent among the less well travelled.....

But, now that I am here in the USA, even if SLovak ladies are not the most beautiful, yes I would say that on average in a room full of people in Slovakia, there will be many many many more women who attract my eye..... than in El Paso Texas.......

No comments:

Post a Comment