Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Overheard...

"There is," said the traveller,"only one sin--to live without joy.."

"Yes, " he said," I know what you are thinking. Some people are unhappy through no fault of their own, and are joyless despite wanting to be happy. Yes, that's true. But, then it's not their sin. It's someone else's sin. Someone else's fault, but it is the most hideous and cruel of deeds, to take away joy, and the chance for joy...."

"I do think..." he paused, "well, the way you treat old people in the USA.... well, that's an example.
I except the rich, of course---the truly evil and heartless minority which does more mischief in the world than anyone can imagine. Truly evil they are...but even when old they lead an altogether different sort of life....

But, still, you have this extremely high-tech system of medical care, and it is all wasted.
Why keep people alive when you take away their joy in living? Joy in living does not come from sitting in a clean middle-class house watching television! It requires active engagement
with other human beings. It requires activity, real things to do, not just shopping!

And, this is where your society is hopeless and miserable. It is as if you regard the old (and the young, for that matter) as mere things that must fit into a great social machine, and you don't think they are people at all.

When I think of it, it is so obscene! I don't know whether to pound my fist or cry.
In the end, all I can say is this: I shall be very glad when I leave your country. Other countries are not so joyless, even if you have managed to export your misery to many countries.

Yes, he said, sadly, I shall be very happy to leave....

No comments:

Post a Comment