Friday, June 8, 2012

I hate driving.

I hate driving.
I hate being in the car.
I hate the laborious and awkward activity of maneuvering myself into the car.
I hate the insanity of locks and safety systems and honking horns.

I hate the seat.
It is uncomfortable, pushing my spine and my legs in such a way that I cannot find my sit-bones.
I am both slumped and bent,
after driving a while my shoulders seem to have been dislocated.
The ceiling is too low and I feel as though I will bump my head.
It is claustrophobic.

I hate driving.
Down a straight road for miles and miles and miles.
Nothing to see:
everything is ugly, flat, nothing to distinguish one low ugly building from another,
except perhaps a grotesque sign, neon or not....
Signs, ugly signs on the right and left.
I must avoid large trucks which threaten to spill into my lane.

Distance is imperceptible, meaningless.

Roads rise and fall, with no meaning, no significance,
barely marked.

The flatness and sameness is overwhelming.
The motion of other cars is meaningless and has no dynamic qualities;
it is mere motion stripped of beauty or music.
Machines replace people.

The sun light is fading,
But the Car Lights are bright, penetrating, distracting,
not pleasant.

Nothing is clearly marked.

What a waste of time!

What an unpleasant experience!

And people talk as though driving ten miles to purchase some ordinary item
were insignificant. I think it's very significant.  It is a god damn unpleasant
waste of time, and it contributes to global warming and the wealth of a class
of people whose only business is to exploit us.

No comments:

Post a Comment