Wednesday, June 27, 2012

I hate driving, yet again...

How many times have I heard someone say, "Oh, I like driving"?----Like driving?! --- like DRIVING? Are you an idiot? Or, I suppose you have never been someplace with decent public transport--- say Copenhagen or Vienna? Have you really got nothing better to do than sit behind the wheel of a car? I mean: in the metro, you can sleep, read, let your mind wander, think about what you are going to do next---- all with no worries about some idiot crasing into you or some policeman stopping you because you failed to notice a change in the speed limit.....like driving? Maybe it is the rocking motion of the car? That primitive sensation of movement that soothes babies? If so, you would be better off in a train. Anyway the roads in El Paso, Texas ( where I am currently trapped--- but not for long if I have any luck...) are so bad that a car does not gently rock. It bounces and thuds and rattles due to the poor condition of the roads! Oh yeah, Mexican politicians squander tax money! What a laugh! As if the USA were not corrupt! Don't know whether to laugh or cry.......let's spend a few more millions on remote control killer spyplanes. After we perfect them on foreigners, we can use them to control the population of the USA. ( I can just imagine the wise men talking about this public spirited idea....) Don't you realize, my friend, that driving is work?! And you have been brain- washed into wasting years of your life performing this unpaid work!? In fact, you pay to perform this work. The stupidity of the whole operation is staggering.......gmooh!

After-thought:  (27 June Wed. 2012)
I must confess that I was bothered by my examples:  Copenhagen and Vienna.  What if you've not got the money for a plane ticket?  Well, I did once meet a relatively ordinary American who complained about the crowded Paris metro; so, it can't be so uncommon for USA people to travel abroad.  And there are places in the USA with relatively and better more public transport.  However, it is a curious fact about the North American mind-set that cities are associated with crime.  And, that is, as well, partially a matter of racism.  As in the young woman who explained that she didn't like the idea of public transit because she experienced it in Washington DC.  But, upon further discussion it emerged that she did not feel "safe" in that city, and so it was hard for her to separate her use of public transport from fear of crime.......

No comments:

Post a Comment