Sunday, April 8, 2012

a short note to a friend

I am posting a (slightly revised version of a) short note I just sent to a friend in Europe:




You see, I would not simply like to complain, although I do complain, and I shall continue to... It's not just that I am unhappy, but rather, I see something bad, something ugly and evil--all around me. It's not just that I am unhappy (although I am), but I see people around me living badly----starting with my parents. My parents are just too, too isolated. They are alone socially. They do not have enough contacts with other people. And they are alone when it comes to the help they need. What is the point of living to be eighty-seven when you are bored most of the time? I see my father as mostly bored, alone. And I cannot possibly spend every day keeping him from feeling alone. so, I feel pain, on the one hand, because my life has stopped, and, on the other because, despite my unhappiness, the fundamentally bad situation of my parents has not changed. It has only been slightly ameliorated.......And I do think that even in Slovakia (not to mention Wien)  people, in general, have more social interaction than do people here. Here everything is mediated via technology (it is like a tax we have to pay to our capitalist masters for anything like a normal healthy life.....

No comments:

Post a Comment