Friday, July 13, 2012

My method

A blog is not a scientific or philosophical treatise.  ("A blog?"--any blog?---Well, This blog at any rate is no such thing; if others blog differently, so be it.)  It allows me to express, in a sort of public space, what I am thinking and feeling.


A particular entry does not  necessarily represent a considered judgment.  Like a diary entry, it may contain occurrent thoughts or emotions which do not necessarily persist.


Moreover, any given entry is best understood in the context of surrounding entries.


Nothing said here claims to be a final or ultimate truth.


However, insofar as I am, and have been, in a difficult situation, there may be other people in a similar situation.  And, it is my hope that others may find some compensation or deeper understanding by knowing about my situation.  After all, as they tell us, the population is aging, and many people must find some way of caring for their elderly parents.


As I have said many times, I am happy to help my parents.  But I shouldn't have to sacrifice my own happiness in order to do so......  And, it is a basic moral or political principle that if an action will affect someone, then they should be included in the decision-making process leading up to action---Moreover, they should be included from the first step, and their contribution should have real efficacy in influencing the outcome......


So, as it would appear that more than three years ago, a decision was made about me, without active inclusion of me in the process, I was within my rights to protest and complain---even if some people did not (and do not) want to hear my complaints and protests.


Nor would I wish to violate that principle in the case of my parents.  Where they will live should, first and foremost, be decided by them. And they should have a real and efficacious role in the decision-making process ( all and any discussion/planning) from the very first step.....No one should be planning their future for them.


No comments:

Post a Comment