Friday, February 18, 2011

(one thing) gratifying and (another) briefly noted--two distinct short entries

Gratifying:

A few months ago my father suffered a decline in his physical condition. More recently, he seems to have made a recovery. It is a pleasure to see his doctors take genuine pleasure when they notice my father's improvement.

I had a similar experience myself once. After being so sick that I had to spend nearly two weeks in the hospital, and after a recovery, I was on the way home in Bratislava's train station when I saw my GP from a distance, waving and smiling. I am sure that he could see that my health had improved, and he was glad to see it. And I was glad to see his pleasure. He hadn't seen me since the time just before my hospitalization, so I'm sure there was a clear difference.

On the other hand....

not gratifying and briefly noted:

I just overheard a DVD my parents were watching about an operation my father is about to undergo. On the one hand, it is nice for my father to see that other people have his problem.

I, however, was not pleased to hear the repetition of the words "gold standard" in describing
the procedure. First, because it is like empty boasting--unless you tell me exactly the details of the pluses and minuses, and history of this procedure. Don't try to trick me by conjuring up images instead of telling me the facts!

Secondly, what gold standard? I thought Nixon got rid of that? And I think it was a rather risky and very self-interested matter... though, I hasten to add, I've not made a careful (or even a careless) study of this matter....

No comments:

Post a Comment