Friday, November 2, 2012

Capitalism Abhors Simple Solutions

draft--to be updated (hopefully)

I've just screamed at the cleaning lady in the communist-style hotel in which I currently find myself; the cleaning ladies shout at one another up and down the empty, uncarpeted corridors, imagining no one is here.
But I abhor noise just as much as capitalism abhors simple solutions.  I've listened to doors slam, heels click, muttering, mumbling, shouting for a month now, and I'm fed up. I've been woken at five or six in the morning by the sound of boots marching, doors squeaking and a thousand mundane manddening noises (such as the wheels of suitcases rolling as an army of visitors arrive at ten or eleven in the evening).....

And I really cannot stand it any more.

but last night.....

My mother cannot get her pain-killers.  Her GP wants her to visit him before he renews the prescription.  My mother is eighty-six, and suffers from chronic arthritis pain which has entered the lower regions of her spine.  The pain which she now suffers is totally predictable and imaginable by a competent GP.

Ergo, he doesn't really care. It is noteworthy that he is something of a businessman, as he owns the building in which he practices---and, like all doctors, employs a staff who is much less well payed than himself.

The simple solution is that the doctor might visit my mother at home and examine her.

In Capitalist America, in Capitalst USA, that solution would never occur to anyone.

Hence, to repeat myself, I describe the USA system of medical care as a "don't care" system.

I've just shouted at the cleaning ladies.  I shall have to apologize to them.  Perhaps they cannot imagine why I was so upset, but I must try to explain.

And later today I shall start looking for a place to live, off campus, in a quiet street.

This flat is perfectly acceptable, as a flat, but it is located within a tall apartment building (a dormitory) in which every sound travels.....and right now the hum of voices (a normal conversation) from somehwere----up or down, I can't tell---is a genuine distraction, but merely one of a thousand that I endure every day as I try to have a coherent thought....

No comments:

Post a Comment