Thursday, May 31, 2012

Desert madness

NO, I am not used to bending down,
extracting the desert shrubs,
nasty, smelly, prickly, looking for water wisely, effectively, shooting out seeds and sharp Needlepoint thorns, long and invisible,
prepared by natural selection for more years than either of us can imagine,
and also able to adjust (I hazard a guess) more rapidly than either one of us!

NO
NO
NO, I am not used to this pointless exercise in human futility!
--Are you?!
Have you really got nothing better to do with your time!??
Do you imagine these infantile blotches of green or arrangements of stone are actually beautiful?
Beautiful?---Are you kidding me?
I will tell you what they are: -- an attempt to control what cannot be controlled,
an exercise in futility and stupidity,
a contribution to the wealth of the already wealthy who are undeservingly so.

No, you are right:  I am not used to it.
But, NO, you are wrong:  The presuppositions of your question are all wrong.
The ignorant supposition that the way you live is normal, let alone good or healthy.

No!----I am not used to it!
And I am not going to get used to it:
I have better things to do with my time.

But you can be sure that the local desert plants ARE used to it
--- And they will be here when we both are gone.


No comments:

Post a Comment