Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Crimes of Capitalism

Among the crimes of the USA are climate criminality and militarism.
Both escape the notice of ordinary citizens.
Today I happened to be sitting in a coffee shop annexed to a book store (not an especially high quality books store) when I happened to glance to my side.

The man next to me was reading a magazine about World War Two.  I have no doubt that this was not an especially historically accurate account, but, rather characteristically USA style propaganda of a militaristic sort.

Earlier he had been reading a magazine about automobiles.

So, here is a USA citizen who in his spare time indulges fantasies about combat or climate-destroying vehicles.

Is there any hope for this country?

Recommended Reading:

William I. Hitchcock, The Bitter Road to Freedom, Free Press, New York, 2008.
Chalmers Johnson, The Sorrows of Empire; Militarism, Secrecy, and the End of the Republic,
Owl Books, 2005
http://www.americanempireproject.com/bookpage.asp?ISBN=0805077979



No comments:

Post a Comment