Wednesday, March 14, 2012

starbucks again

I've been trying to explain to friends (sympathetic friends outside of the USA) how upsetting it has been for me......how upsetting it was to be disciplined for a joke by a manager at Starbucks....

The lesson I draw from this is the following:  I cannot go into a public place in this country and simply make a spontaneous joke.

Instead, I must engage in self-censorship and ask myself whether someone might be offended.


In other words, there is no freedom of expression in this country.  And I shall now be forced to present one persona in public, another in private.

In other words the atmosphere (created by citizens---citizens following/interpreting the orders of their corporate masters but still citizens, not soldiers or police) is totalitarian.  Reminiscent of "communism".  (For which, see, e.g., Milan Kundera's classic novel "The Joke"......)

A good reason to leave.....forever......

No comments:

Post a Comment