Thursday, March 15, 2012

excerpt from a letter to a friend....



Did I mention that recently someone --well, it is hard to describe--- accosted me because my shoelaces were untied?

I'd just gotten out of a ballet class, had quickly changed, and apparently had not tied the laces or tied them loosely,
and was traveling the enormous distance of six steps from the door of the school to my father's car.....

And from the window of a car passing by, someone shouted, aggressively, angrily, "Tie your shoelaces!".

I was amazed.  Ever since then, I hesitate whenever the question comes up.  Really, if I'm traveling a few steps
to my father's car, and I'm then going to drive straight home, is it really such an issue?  I mean I usually do
tie my shoelaces.  Anyway, I bought my sneakers in Wal Mart and the laces are not overly long, even if 
I fail to tie them....
 But, isn't it insane that I am currently engaged in talking about this?

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention that, in case I hadn't.  You may know more about this than I do.  But I know
that there is a trend to put policemen in schools, and I read that in Chicago students who leave their shoelaces untied
can get a five dollar ticket....

When they are sending so many men and women off to war, when they are killing from the convenience of air-conditioned rooms
 at the console of computers--killing women and children in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, and elsewhere, when their financial wizards are monkeying with food prices and causing starvation---they seem to think that a genuine moral issue to get upset about is......
whether or not someone's shoes are tied?

No comments:

Post a Comment