Sunday, June 12, 2011

oh dear

random musings:

Oh dear, oh dear. in my previous post I used the biggest taboo word in the English language.
What a bad boy.

do the spaces we live in influence our thoughts?
am I a knee-jerk whorfian?

Am I a bad boy in thought?
Have I lost the respect of my readers and will my essay be rejected by the editors?

Yes, I do think that the spaces in which you and I move do influence our thoughts
To what extent?
How?
Where?

Have I done no experiments?
How dare I speak such rubbish?

Imagine the time you spend in your car (if you are a USA person).
You have a common vocabulary that you share with other USA people.
Likewise for your house and lawn...

I do not share that vocabulary and must think about what people are
saying to me.

Even more disturbing I want to interrupt the flow of the USA-thoughts.
I don't want to assume that cutting the lawn is good or worthy.

Why the hell did some idiot import totally unsuitable shrubs into a desert?
Get them out of here. They will never be sustainable.

And I have a thousand other complaints.

When you assume USA technology (cars no trams) houses each with its own this or that,
you import that whole decision (see note) into the reality of your conversations.
You cannot stop yourself.
And I want to put a tariff on that imposition. So, you may not enjoy talking to me.
Well, the experience is mutual--I assure you...

note: "decision"? Yes, that's what I mean. there was no collective decision, no democratic decision about which technology would be developed. that's what it means to say that the USA is a capitalist country.... (one of the things it means)....

No comments:

Post a Comment