Monday, February 16, 2015

University of Pardubice Housing

This morning the friendly repairman took away a non-functioning hotplate.
He was going to replace it with a newer one, when (thanks to the cleaning lady) he found out that
the newer one had a short, and all the lights had gone out.
He took away both hotplates and never returned.
Tonight I can't cook a proper meal.
Tomorrow morning I won't be able to have coffee before leaving my apartment.
I am not surprised, but I am not happy either.

After-thought:  Isn't this just another version of Capitalist austerity?  After all, the reigning ideology is capitalism.  The university's mission is unclear, and profit motives dominate.  (Grotesque advertising--billboards--to earn money.)  After all Czechoslovakia never had a chance in competition
with other countries, and still doesn't.  Czechs (in general) are not getting richer.  Capitalism promises wealth for all, but does not deliver.  Why should so mundane a thing as a hotplate be any different than anything else?

My students tell me how great the Hapsburg empire was because they put "their" industry in Czechoslovakia.  Well, what does that mean?  Czechs and Slovaks got jobs, and the profits went to Austria.  Is that great?  I think not.

POST-SCRIPT/UPDATE
After I wrote a complaining email, the next day when I was out, the hotplate reappeared.
It had been scrubbed clean too.  And I thought:  here was a man who took pride in his work.
I felt bad about complaining, and wrote another email thanking the man.
He probably intended to come back the day before, but was too busy.  At any rate,
I was embarrassed by the cleanliness of the returned hotplate.  I'd never gotten it to such
a shiny state.  On the other hand, when I moved into this small flat, it was obvious that the previous residents had done nothing by way of cleaning before I moved in.  and the local management was not about to clean in here since they'd made an issue of the idea that I alone was responsible for the inner sanctum---but not the bathroom.  And I did scrub that hotplate, and it was cleaner when the repairman took it than it had been when I first moved in.
 I enjoy the privilege of having someone else clean my bathroom.  But I do not think anyone should have that job.  I can clean my own toilet.  However, I wouldn't want the lady to be unemployed either.  Or the repairman who fixed my hotplate.  Or me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment