Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Today I'll be teaching Nurses.  On the whole, they are a good group.  They have other more demanding subjects, and so maybe my subject is not their first priority, but they seem serious enough about their education.  (My "Economics" students, by contrast, have not got any clear ideas about their lives--and, those who do tend to be frightening.  They are, in the deepest sense, victims of capitalism.)

I'll be teaching four classes in a row.  This is an interesting development.  Last term I made a little fuss within my department when they suggested I teach three classes in a row.  To their credit, they listened to me, and they gave me a break between the first and second class.  That was not exactly what I had in mind, as the Nursing School is in a terrible location, distant from everything except a factory and an airport which serves military planes. (I have seen and heard large transport planes.  Just the sound of them is unpleasant.)  And there is no privacy at the school.  But the students and staff are generally friendly, so it was bearable.

I don't know how I'll do today with four classes.  (There are short gaps between them.)  But it represents a significant climb-down from my side.  Due to my new status as a teacher paid per-hour, aka, an Adjunct, I am in no position to refuse work.  (On the other hand, it is clear that educational values are taking a backseat here.  Everyone must recognize that teaching four classes in a row is not an ideal situation for teacher or students.)

But what I mostly wanted to say today is this:  Yesterday I mentioned to my mother that there is a brutal contrast between the young nurses (also Radiologists, Midwives, and Social Workers) and the workers at the nearby factory.  One group is tired, wears less fashionable clothes, and may possibly smoke more. (Unfortunately smoking is altogether too common among the young in the Czech Republic.  Another case where Czechs have been victims of capitalism.)  yet, they are so obviously two different classes, dwelling in two different worlds.  It is so sad to see.

In fact, I feel as though I am an oddball when I ride the bus to school.  The adults on the bus are not especially lively or excited.  Some are older adults on the way to the hospital.  Generally, the adults who take the bus do not look healthy. In addition to the factory near the school, the bus stops in a so-called business zone, where the notorious Foxconn is located. (About Foxconn, see http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/business/ieconomy-apples-ipad-and-the-human-costs-for-workers-in-china.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
 In the morning I can be animated, talking about news or complaining about politics or the poor quality of public transportation.  And I feel as though I stand out.

Even if I don't actually stand out, I feel as though everyone must know that I am going to the Nursing School, as I often enough talk to one of my students.  And I can't help but feel that this is all so unfair.

The only good thing is that education is still free in the Czech Republic--though, of course, there are those who would like to change that.

I want to put a link to David Ruccio's thoughtful remarks about how poverty and inequality affects us all.  It is very nice for me to see a Marxist who cares about the psychology of inequality.  I generally find that reading his blog is one of the best parts of my day.
https://anticap.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment