Wednesday, February 18, 2015

now an adjunct in the Czech Republic.........or maybe not (19.2)

Update:  (19.2)  I'm not sure if "adjunct" is totally correct.  My contract is short term, but I do have Health Insurance through my job.  An Adjunct in the States wouldn't get that; and that's a big difference.  On the other hand, I am not working 40 hours a week, and my pay has diminished.
Otherwise, what I say below about the Internet, the University's computer system, and the bureaucracy still applies....

I was talking to a friend in Prague, complaining really about the bad organization at the university where I currently work.

Once again, they managed to change my schedule at the last minute.  It seems to be a regular phenomenon.  I only learned I am teaching tomorrow today, at 2pm.  The beauty of email, you say.

I told my friend that I have worked at several other universities (in the USA and Slovakia) and this university is the most poorly organized place I've ever worked at.  

My friend quickly agreed.  She had heard that Slovak universities were better organized.

Part of the problem, I think, is not unique to the Czech Republic.  Someone in administration can make an announcement in an unobvious place and then be surprised that no one knows about it.

Or, someone can send a not obviously relevant email, only to find no one has read it.

As I am now paid per-teaching hour, I no longer feel obligated to read any emails.  I regard reading emails from my employer as unpaid work.

The internet has now reached such a level of visual complexity that it is less and less useful.
this applies especially to everything to do with my employer's homepage.

Obviously, (or not), the opinions expressed here are exclusively those of the author, and need not represent the opinion of his employer or other employees of that institution.

No comments:

Post a Comment