Wednesday, February 1, 2012

wage slavery

" A larger part of the worker's own surplus product . . . is continually being transformed into additonal capital, comes back to them in the shape of means of payment, so that they can extend the circle of their enjoyments, make additions to their consumption fund of clothes, furniture, etc. , and lay by a small reserve of money. But these things no more abolish the exploitation of the wage-labourer, and his situation of dependence, than do better clothing, food and treatment, and a larger peculium, in the case of a slave. A rise in the price of labour, as a consequence of the accumulation of capital, only means in fact that the length and weight of the golden chain the wage-labourer has already forged for himself allow it to be loosened somewhat."

--Marx, Capital, Volume One, "The General Law of Capitalist Accumulation", added emphasis

Two conclusions follow:

1. It is an error for the citizens of the USA today to gaze backwards to the 1960's with envy and sadness. For, the citizens of the USA were equally wage slaves in the past----even if their chains today are longer and heavier.

2. It is an error to envy Europeans too much, as they are slaves just as much as are the citizens of the USA. Only their chains are longer and lighter.

(Nonetheless, I think I am reasonable to prefer a longer and lighter chain.....)

2 comments:

  1. I have been absent for some time, but now I remember why I used to love this site. Thanks , I will try and check back more frequently. How frequently you update your website?
    MSD Ignition 8739 Two-Step Module Selector

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Robin,
    Thank you for your comment. It is always nice to get positive feedback. My guess is that checking back once or twice a week should be enough. I cannot promise to make daily postings and I do not have a strict policy about when I write or how much I write. (My life is not so organized as that.) Usually, I write if something bothers me, or if I happen to come across something that is interesting, but sometimes I am silent for several days.
    Anyway, thanks again for your comment.

    ReplyDelete