Tuesday, February 28, 2012

bullshit capitalism, unfriendly capitalism

Why are some things easy? (It is easy to purchase a book.) Why are some things hard?  (It is hard for me to actually find time to read any of the books I have purchased....)  Is it God's decision or the "laws of economics"?---or is it the laws of Capitalist Economics?

I have just returned from an unsuccessful attempt to have the oil changed in my father's car.

I am not blind.  I see the tired looks, the nervous looks, the suffering of those who work for a living.  They are harried.  They have not got real rest.

Some among them are full of fantasies--they accept the rules dictated by the ruling class and believe that they can do something, buy something, achieve something--but the rules about what's good and what's bad are not debated  (cars are good/the latest technology is good)....... but they too are nervous.

And the friendliness which exists in the marketplace cannot replace relations of genuine equality or solidarity.

What pure and total bullshit is the USA obsession with technology!  My computer's manufacturer seems to be in collusion with a host of companies........

The local grocery store is in collusion with a host of companies; for, it wants to sell me all sorts of ridiculous cards giving me credit at other stores.  (Clear monopoly that, or monopoly envy on the part of the store---the desire to extort every cent a person has, not to allow them to leave the store with a coin in their pockets or a dollar in their bank account.....)

Cars?  I hate them.  They are a curse.  So, I have to drive the god damn thing.  I lose time I could spend sleeping or reading or daydreaming.  Driving a car is work---unpaid work.   When I drive a car, I am wasting my time, working......(and not getting paid for it).

Then I must worry about parking it.  Always a problem when grotesque overgrown trucks fill up every inch.

And I must worry that it might get stolen.  Or that I might lock the keys inside.....

And I must wait while the oil is changed.  No, I will not wait in a room with an idiotic television.

(Chomsky was right:  Do you want to be free?   Stop watching television.)

I am not blind.  I can imagine something of the life of someone whose time is devoted to "servicing" cars.  What does that mean?  Is it interesting work?  Everyone who comes in is like me.  They don't want to wait.  But they must wait.  And, how, by the way,  can I avoid waiting?   Waiting in a room dominated by an idiotic television.  (Or, you wait at home----but then the whole business takes even longer.)

The god of the car must be placated.  My time must be sacrificed on the capitalist altar.

This is simply an idiotic country of un-freedom, a sad place.

But I cannot forget the worried, harried, tired face of the man at the auto "service" shop.
Am I different?  Luckier?  Maybe not.  I don't have to do his job, but my future is uncertain.
But right now, I am exhausted from getting up earlier than usual--not early enough to be at the front of line for auto "service", but early enough to be ruined, destroyed.

(And even that tired man was not the only one there.  Younger, arrogant workers were there as well.....men who had not yet realized how few opportunities are really available......)

Tomorrow I shall try again.  I haven't been destroyed like this since I had to arrive at 6am to win my Slovak residency permit, a yearly tax, a yearly pain-in-the-ass........(Cars, I believe, need regular oil changes, many times a year.......)

The god of capitalism demands regular sacrifices.

No comments:

Post a Comment