Tuesday, February 28, 2012

funny thing, that...

I have been re-reading Milan Kundera's book, "The Unbearable Lightness of Being".
Funny thing that. During communism (in Eastern or Central Europe) you could lose your job if you were too outspoken.  (So, a person like me, who was qualified to teach Philosophy at a University might have to perform other work.  But, then here without what used to be called "communism".... I have to perform other work---if I can find it.....)

So, the main character loses his job as a surgeon. He takes a job as a window washer.
But, he doesn't have to worry about health insurance, or oil changes for his car, or car insurance, or even driving a car.....

Funny thing.  What they call "communism" looks better to me than what I'm facing.....(Oh, you say I have free speech?  Really?  What good does it do me?  When I don't have health insurance and I've got to get up at 6am tomorrow morning to take my father's car in for an oil change----I'm not so sure that all that's balanced out by this blog!)

(Counter-argument:  Take the protagonist in another novel by Kundera,  "The Joke".  His being outspoken got him a much harsher punishment.....Yes, but even he didn't have to worry about health insurance, and he was eventually re-instated......)

And, now that I think about it, lots of jobs require something like the public affirmation of the place's rules, values, design---something like a public statement, swearing allegiance to the corporation----as well as the right smiles and nods, facial expressions at the right time.  All that seems pretty damn authoritarian to me....(and we aren't even guaranteed health insurance.......or a pension....)

No comments:

Post a Comment