Saturday, February 25, 2012

a few publications

Recently, I found myself trying to explain my life to a friend--trying to explain why my current life is so unsatisfying.  No, it's not enough to have a clean, warm place to live and food.

What I miss most of all is time to myself, quiet interruption-free hours---which, in the past, I always managed to arrange.  When I worked at a so-called International School, while my colleagues were traveling to Spain or Italy, I was staying home, reading books.  And, I was happy doing that.  But, now, that's not an option. I have no weekends and no holidays.

Anyway, in that context, I was making the argument that my history shows that when I've had time, I have managed to write something. (See End Note)  Professional philosophers won't find everything I've written to be worthy of mention.  (Indeed, one item on the list below is something I hereby forbid any professional philosopher (who got lost and ended up here) to read....

But I compiled a list of things I'd managed to publish despite lacking the usual sort of supports professional philosophers expect---support such as a library....And I reproduce that list now:

1.  Three "rants" in the (Outbursts section of ) The Journal of Mundane Behavior.
        
(Professional Philosophers are forbidden to read these!) 
http://www.mundanebehavior.org/index2.htm







2.   A piece about "Slavic Fatalism" and "American Optimism" :


3.  An essay in "Sorites" about Jonathan Dancy's "moral particularism":


4.  Three different essays in "Think":

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=5969360

Incidentally, the above abstract is rather bizarre.  The article started with a quote from Chomsky; so that quote looks to be the abstract.---not by design, I assure you.... 


The next essay, "The Difficulty of Understanding" was written while I was in Vienna, just before I left Europe.  Had I stayed, I would have been able to continue to develop ideas I had at the time.  But the disruption of returning to the land of the free and being overtaken by my parents' needs has put a stop to that.

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=7950458

The final article---about advertising---was actually written in the land of the free.  Since that time my parents have declined and demands upon my time have increased.

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=822703

ENDNOTE
You could well say with emphasis:  When I've had time, I've managed to write something....  (I half think the reason (or at least half of the reason) I bothered to write a novella was that I did not at the time have access to a proper research library......)

No comments:

Post a Comment