Wednesday, February 15, 2012

and another thing

I have mentioned the intrinsic loneliness, alienation and isolation of the USA-life style,
but this drive me insane:

My father is relatively healthy for a man of eighty-six years, but he has no one to talk to,
and nothing to do with his time when he is feeling well.

He sits in his chair, would like to talk to me, would like to recount his memories of, as it happens, 1935 or 1945, or his youth, but I have things to do. And my mother has things to do.

What's the point? Isn't this awful? He should have someone to talk to, and something to do.

I can give him something to watch, play the podcast of "Democracy Now" for him......but that's really not enough. He needs human interaction.

But he doesn't have it.

That is bad and sad.

PS Okay, a guy will come to give him a shower in a couple of hours. But, that's really not enough!

PPS Oh yes, there is "daycare" for the elderly, but not in our neighborhood! It's fifteen or more miles away!

No comments:

Post a Comment