Thursday, September 22, 2011

My trials and tribulations with the Texas Department of Aging and Disability

I have just sent the following email:

Hello XXXX,
Thanks for writing so promptly.

Unfortunately, what you have written/what you say you remember is inaccurate.
My parents do not receive Medicaid.
Note: you have written:
.....from what I remember your parents were receiving Medicaid ...

That was cut and pasted from your message below.
Your words above--cut and pasted from the message below--are not true.
My parents are NOT receiving Medicaid.

So, once again the question becomes: Is there something like "Estate Recovery" for Medicaid?(correction: should read : Medicare)
(You could answer that "yes" or "no"--couldn't you? I mean without sending me a bunch of attachments?)

A second, related but different point.

Someone in your office spoke to my mother on the telephone.
Although I did not hear the conversation, I do know what message was
communicated to my mother.

My mother was told something like the following--a remark in defense of "Estate Recovery":

It makes sense to have "Estate Recovery" because it's like a credit card... you pay it back...

I have written to you before about Estate Recovery.
I believe it is nothing but an abuse of state power.
but forget that for now....

What is Social Security? Social Security is not a credit card. It is not about borrowing money.
IT is an insurance system.
Young healthy people pay into the system when they are working.
When they are older and can no longer work, they get paid back in the form of assistance.

Social Insurance (Social Security is a form of Insurance) is not a credit card.

If anybody should be paying back, it should be DADS or the Social Security System,
but not my parents.

Please share this point with your colleagues. It is in fact shameful that anyone involved
with Social Security should fail to understand the most basic facts about what it is!

If you don't believe me, look at the article in Wikipedia about Medicare.
There is a pretty clear explanation of this point.

My parents continue to need more help than they are receiving.
So, one day I or they may need to contact you again.

In the meantime, I hope that you will read and understand what I have written.

Very best wishes,
Mark Lovas

1 comment:

  1. By the way, the answer did come back. "Estate Recovery" applies only to Medicaid, not Medicare. but then it is the poorest people who receive Medicaid....so, once again, there is a kind of contempt toward those least able to defend themselves, least able to pay..... While no rich person will ever need either Medicaid or Medicare.......

    ReplyDelete