Thursday, September 8, 2011

evil

It is hard for me to say what is the most evil or nasty aspect of life in the USA.
However, I just overheard a conversation between an unknown person (said to
represent a construction firm) and my eighty-five year old mother.
The person calling obviously got the name and phone number from the phone book.
He was not polite, and refused to give his full name--although he did finally say "Thank you" before he hung up.
But he called around dinner time (locally speaking). Obviously someone thought this would be clever. Instead the phone call woke both my father and mother from a nap.
It was a disturbance and a nuisance.
This is a common occurrence, and is, in fact, a form of abuse of the elderly.

Regular readers of my blog know what's coming next:
When I lived in the Czech Republic, Austria, or Slovakia, I never received that sort of phone call--never...

gmooh

No comments:

Post a Comment