Friday, September 23, 2011

draft of a letter-"Estate Recovery"

This is a draft of a letter I may write to the TExas Department of Aging and Disability.
Then again I might not send it...

Let's be quite clear about what's going on here.
My mother and father have worked hard all of their lives.
In my mother's case, she is working hard today.
Despite painful arthritis, a degenerative condition in her spine which makes walking difficult and painful, and despite the tender mercy of doctors who performed an operation on each of her hands (eliminating the pain of carpo-tunnel, but also making her hands virtually useless to perform ordinary tasks like opening a bottle or jar), my mother works every day.
She cooks. She washes. She cleans. And she attends to the needs of my father,
who is eighty-six years old.

And despite a lifetime of work, my mother is not getting the sort of help she needs.
And she will not get the help she needs from you.

Why not?
Because a small, but unfairly privileged group of mostly men, and a few women,
sitting on their asses in Austin, Texas and Washington DC have decided that
my mother and father are too rich to deserve help.

This is obscene. My parents are in no shape to actually pay for the sort of help that they need.

Instead of helping them, the small group of beneficiaries of unearned privilege who call themselves "lawmakers" would rather spend money on foreign wars of aggression and new aggressive technologies. They would rather kill brown people half a world away than help their own citizens right here.....

It makes me want to throw up.

That's what I think of the Texas Department of Aging and Disability.

But it is not your fault--of course. And it's not my mother's fault either---but she is the one who is really suffering from monumental disrespect.....while you are part of a system which makes less than a half-hearted attempt to do what it should do.

But you must follow orders. You should be called the Texas SAD department, not the texas DAD department ---because it is pathetic and sad that you pretend to do what really you never do......
you pretend to help people who need help, while in actuality you help only a small number of people, and even the help you give is probably inadequate.....

sad
disgusting
abominable
intolerable
execrable

No comments:

Post a Comment