Saturday, March 5, 2011

Vienna's Opera Ball?....

Let me see if I get this right.
A young woman slept with Berlusconi. He paid her.
She was at that time "under age". In Italy, if you're eighteen, it's legal to sleep with someone for money,...
(Well, is that the right way to put it? What is legal/permitted here? Paying someone ? or receiving money? .....)

Now that woman went to the Vienna opera ball, and she, err, Google translate says "eclipsed"....
the ball... (I am looking at a Czech headline, and I don't say I know Czech well.)
She cast a shadow?

Well, let's be clear. If anyone's done wrong here, it was Berlusconi.

As for the woman in question, better that we ask why she sought that way of earning money.

As for such holy events as Opera Balls, what are they really? An excuse for the privileged to
flaunt their wealth? That is their essence---excess and privilege..

So, when I think of it that way.... well it just shows what Berlusconi is all about.... Such balls are throw-backs, anachronisms belonging to the glories of empires and the thievery which is aristocracy..... It amazes me that Europeans have not outgrown them....I don't think the lady was out of place....

after-thought:
on a slightly more reflective level, I'm inclined to say that sex per se is neither good nor bad,
but it depends upon all of the details.....and all of this gossip is, well, just that, talk on the surface of things....

en passant: all news programs, including Al Jazeera (and most especially CNN and the BBC) effect a certain FLATTENING of events, those rhythmic voices, made-up faces, and even pretty women. None of it serves us in attempting to understand the course of events. It is a medium a manner of presentation which fights against our understanding of reality. Yet, I know of no solution.

RETURNING TO THE ABOVE ENTRY:
I leave the after-thought though it is inadequate. I flee from the philosopher's measurement of right and wrong with careful argument--though, there too, one can learn much. But, I can think of no better recourse than an allusion to the character of Professor Avenarius, created by Milan Kundera--he who complained that the true friend of the erotic, the true hedonist, would not care if he were seen in public with a beautiful woman.....(So, by that test, both the Italian and the Austrian businessmen fail to measure up.....)

No comments:

Post a Comment