Thursday, March 10, 2011

Hitler and the "art" of persuasion....

In the past year I've viewed a few movies for the sake of my stay-at-home elderly parents.
And one of the less pleasant aspects of that has been the "extras" which they put on DVD's--usually some sort of hero worship directed at the film maker and actors....

In the case of "Downfall" I noticed that some people connected to the film seemed to express something like awe or astonishment at Hitler's influence, or his ability to influence.

However, I think they were making a mistake. They confused the fact of influence (as in a storm or an explosion) with being in control (knowing the consequences of the forces one unleashed).

(Reference: I recall that Terry Penner used to refer to a passage in Aristotle with a similar distinction.)

Of course, my remark assumes that if you unleash forces that ultimately backfire and destroy you and your plans, then you never were in control. But that seems like a reasonable assumption....

No comments:

Post a Comment