Tuesday, March 8, 2011

facebook fascism and international woman's day

My mother has worked all of her life--and at the age of eighty-four, she continues to work--in the home, unpaid labor, but real labor.

My father, by contrast, has retired--and my mother continues to take care of him.

I have been helping my mother, so I too have been working in the home, and it doesn't count for the official statistics. I am not part of the "market".

But I do work.

I do contribute.

However facebook will not allow me to specify my position as "unpaid labor in the home".

Indeed, facebook bans other categories..... Hence my term 'fascism'--not used the way that political scientists my like, but, nonetheless, it has a point...

So, on this day when women should be celebrated, let us recognize the incoherence of the dominant economic theory in this region (as in so many others)....

Note
The economist Nancy Folbre has more articulate things to say about this issue of women's labor in the home....(more articulate than what I've said)...but even she just mentions in passing the case of care for the elderly....

No comments:

Post a Comment