Thursday, March 10, 2011

the USA is a backwards country

the other day, waiting in the doctor's office, I viewed a drama about a psychopathic killer.

Not my taste, but I was in a waiting room dominated by a "large screen" tv.

The creators' of the drama attempted to recreate the killer's obsession with the drowing of a woman. I did not watch carefully, but I did find myself watching a scene in which the killer watches a woman drown, a scene in which the killer enjoyed seeing the woman "give up".

I've carried that scene in my memory, and I am angry at the manipulation involved, angry at the makers of the drama, and angry at the doctor and his office manager for imposing this unpleasant spectacle on me.

Yet, when I purchase a movie with even a brief glimpse of a woman's breasts or bottom,
the DVD comes with a warning label.

I dare say: no one has yet been ruined by a brief glance at a woman's breasts or bottom, or
indeed, vagina.

That's not what ruins people. Poverty and inequality do. Lack of access to education does.

And, what's more: the drama about the killer had absolutely no insights to offer. It was stale, hackneyed, cliched. The attempt to view the killer's mind did not take place in a context where it could bring any further insights. It occurred in the context of a familiar style of narrative with little or no novelty or creativity.,

Yet, that sick little drama was funded. There is ample money available for that sort of crap.

And there was money for the doctor to purchase the large screen TV...

all in a time where, we are told, the "economy" is not doing well....

No comments:

Post a Comment