Tuesday, December 17, 2013

internet idiocy

I shall never forget the student in my English class in Vienna who told me
she hadn't read something we were supposed to discuss...... because
the article took longer to read than her daily commute.....

Now I want to complain about something else.

I do not like this relatively new (though not totally new) feature of internet pages whereby the picture or content or whatever changes every five seconds or whatever it is.  It is g.d. annoying.
Seems like this is for people who have a short attention span?  (Do we really want to encourage that sort of thing?  I mean, e.g., "we" as in people at a university?)

The two seem connected--as in, "I read it once (quickly) during my commute, and that's what I got out of it...." (Implied:  I don't intend to read the thing again; one quick reading was enough.)

Well, some texts don't deserve a second reading, but you can mis-read even a short text of little value.  I do it all the time with all the stuff coming into my email----some of which is crap,
and some of which is good stuff.....(Personal confession designed to increase sympathy for my griping.....)

No comments:

Post a Comment