Wednesday, December 25, 2013

"I hate you."

In my mind, "I hate you" is a childish, or overly-dramatic saying.

Nonetheless, a couple of years ago, when pushed into a corner, I could find no better way to register my opposition to the suggestions being made to me.

Moreover, I had, at that time, endured three years of lost autonomy on account of giving in to the suggestions of family members.

Recently  apologized to the target of that childish saying. Yet, I worry that an apology went too far.

More words are needed.  By saying IHY I did not intend to convey a desire to do harm to the person.  Rather, I was engaged in an act of self-defense.  I wanted him to cease pushing me.  In truth, he had arguments of a sort.  But, in actual fact, he also made assumptions I did not share.  And, I'd not got the energy to unearth those assumptions.  Nor, I think, would he have been interested in discussing them.

In that context, IHY was, whilst childish, probably the best I could have done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment