Thursday, August 1, 2013

the annals of stupidity

So, here I am back in the Czech Republic (The land of Czechs and no balance).
And, I have not yet recovered from my jet lag.

Oh, how nice.  Bam-Bam-...errr, was it "tap.tap..." ? In any case, once again, my sleep was disturbed.  This time by the manager of university housing, accompanied by a crowd--or so it seemed.

I was on the phone late talking to my parents.  There is an eight hour time difference between West Texas and Central Europe. When it is nine am here, it is one in the morning there.....   My conversation with my parents ended around 3 in the morning.  The morning intrusion occurred around 9:30.

I did not get eight hours of sleep.

Errr, with the Internet, the Manager might have sent me an email.  Don't you think?

The plumber had to adjust the radiators.  Errr, couldn't they have know that earlier?  Warned me in advance?

I am now in a state of half-consciousness due to lack of sleep.  Thank you very much Ms. Manager!

If I had know, I might have cleaned up.  That much the Manager understood, and she said "Doesn't matter..."  But, Dear Lady, it most certainly does matter.  It matters because there is a big difference between getting eight hours of sleep and not getting eight hours of sleep.

There is a big difference between an unannounced interruption and a previously announced intrusion.

But the stupidity I want to mention is this:  I apologized to the Plumber and told him the room was a mess......

This is a guy who's been here before.  And the last time I asked him to repair a drain---which he did not do.  And the last time he stunk to high heaven........(Soap is cheap, even here.....)  I cannot blame him for failing to fix the drain; my language skills are not strong enough for me to be confident that he understood me, but, gosh gee, at the time, it sure seemed that he did.  I mean if I point at a sink, there's only a few possibilities......

So, the guy does his job, and leaves my room.  And, I hear him repeat my words in the hall,  "It was a mess."

How clever.   He couldn't even think of his own words for describing the mess.  Yes, a domestic mess because I've not got a wife who functions as a domestic servant....(Here I outrageously presume to know about the domestic arrangments of the plumber.....)

Yeah right.  What a beautiful world this is!  What stupidity and lack of consideration.............

No comments:

Post a Comment