Sunday, March 3, 2013

washing machines

"Ted' teprve Tomáš pochopil, že je vyslýchán."

An ordinary conversation--or what should be an uncomplicated ordinary conversation---can turn into an assertion of authority, a claim by one side that the other is out of line, behaving badly, not following the rules---without discussion, without acknowledgement, but merely by a brute assertion of authority, a brute invocation of the ancient principle, "I am on this side of the counter--the right side (and I ask the questions) and you are on the wrong side...........and you are not allowed to ask any questions....Your only job is to answer my questions."

Washing machines, it would seem, are a precious commodity in Central Europe.

I pay maybe a dollar and a half, or two dollars to use two machines for three hours.  If I use them for three and a half hours, the price doubles.

Two dollars might not sound like much to you, but my monthly pay isn't much either.  What I pay for one month of washing machine use would buy groceries for two or three days.  Often at the end of the month, that is a significant sum of money.

When I use the machines, I have to register electronically via my ID card.  In addition, the ladies in charge write down various personal details in a book:  how many machines did I use?, Did I use the drying room?, and how long did I use the machines?

It is as if they were rationing a precious commodity, or keeping track of potentially illegal activities.

Today I dared to ask why they were collecting all of this personal information.  (Does my employer really need to know how often I wash my clothes?  Or how many washing machines I use?)

First came the answer:  Well, someone else may want to use a machine.  ---But, I protested, I already used the machine.  I've finished.  I'm here to pay.  That can't be the reason.

And, now a new answer came:  Well, we have this book, these forms, and so we have to fill them out.

But, I asked:  Why?  Why do you need all of this personal information?

They ignored my question.  It was if I had behaved badly, and they were pretending not to hear me.  Or they were pretending I did not exist.  I was, evidently, in their eyes a sort of non-person, or a non-entity.  (He doesn't understand the rules:  WE ASK THE QUESTIONS HERE!!)

I suspect that my employer is making a profit from renting washing machines to people like me.

Why is it that I have a feeling as though I've been through all of this before?

In retrospect, the lady who originally gave me the key to the laundry room would have normally asked all these questions, and would have written everything down in the little book before she gave me the key.  In this case, she didn't.  And, she was present as my questioning occurred.  She was present and she was silent.  Couldn't she have answered a few questions?  Couldn't she have intervened.  Rather, she remained silent as a tomb.  What was wrong with her?  Was it schadenfreude?

For god's sake, all I wanted to do was pay what I owed!---Not be submitted to silly questions.

And I have had unpleasant experiences with washing machines before:

http://www.mundanebehavior.org/outburst/lovas-08012001.htm

Voices echo in my brain:
Don't ask why.
Just follow the rules.
We don't need to know why.
Leave your brain at the door when you enter, and just do what I tell you.

There is something about that desk.  If you are on one side, you have power, and you ask the questions.
If you are on the other side, you answer the questions.  PUNKT!  End of the story.  No questions allowed.

Errr, is that "freedom"?  Well, that's what we've got here..................

I think that next week I'll make a suggestion.  The washing machine custodians should put a sign on one side of their desk:  WE ask the questions here; not you. You only ANSWER questions.



































No comments:

Post a Comment