Saturday, March 30, 2013

Physical Therapy at its worst

I spent three years living with my elderly parents.  During that time, both my father and mother acquired walkers--metal frames with wheels, a seat, a basket to put things in, and brakes.

Recently my mother began visiting yet another physical therapist.  He immediately told her that her walker is the wrong size.  It is too tall for her, with the consequence that she is forced to walk toe-ball-heel and not heel-ball-toe.  And, in the process, her Achilles tendon will have been shortened, increasing her chances of losing balance.

Note well:  In two and a half years, other physical therapists and their assistants have seen that walker, and seen my mother use it. Not one realized it is the wrong size. ---And who the hell ordered it in the first place? A private company that contracts with Medicare who paid for it. 

So, I figure two or three (maybe more therapists) and equally three or four therapist's assistants saw that god damn walker that didnt' fit---and they did not notice that it is too tall.

That's a very bad record for the actual delivery of services.  Were I not trying to polite, I could find much harsher words for this negligence.  My god!  This is my mother, and she's not getting what she deserves in the capitalist USA.

What's more, if my mother is getting treatment from incompetent or negligent therapists, you can bet that she is not alone.  Indeed, given the size of the USA, it would not be far off the mark to guess that millions of people are similarly being deceived in order for private companies to gain access to their Medicare funds.  (And I really don't care if the companies all themselves "not-for-profit".)

No comments:

Post a Comment