Thursday, August 2, 2012

Meaning Unfolds

One of the saddest things I've ever heard was something my father said.  His words linger and resonate with shades of meaning, implications.

Their content is overwhelming.  I find it hard to get my mind around the meaning.  It is bigger than me. Yet, it is powerful, strong, demands that I hear it and somehow respect it.

His words?

"Bananas....I can't eat bananas any more...."

He was not exactly sad, but he was not enthusiastic as he said this.  He accepted it.  Perhaps that's it: he was resigned.

And I felt sad.

A botched "routine" operation had resulted in damage to my father's kidneys.  When?  Five or six or more years ago......Human error with a human cost.

Those words were sad as well because they stand part-for-whole representing the story of aging, decline, the gradual acceptance of death itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment