Wednesday, August 22, 2012

a strange incident at the swimming hole

Sign One:  The pool will be closing on Tuesday, X September.

Sign Two:  Reconstruction will begin on Wednesday, X+1 September....

Question:  When does the pool close on Tuesday?

Suggestion:  The intended thought behind Sign One was:  The pool will be closed on Tuesday, X September.

I submit that Sign One, as written, is compatible with the following interpretation:  The pool will be open normal hours, but once it closes, it won't open until...

Put it differently:  the pool will be closing today at 8pm-, and it will be closing again tomorrow at 8pm, but it re-opens tomorrow at 8am.  

Anyway, I found Sign One and Two together to be confusing:  Why would they tell us that reconstruction starts on Wednesday (not Tuesday) unless that means the pool is open, at least some hours, on Tuesday?

Well, once I asked, I was told:  On Tuesday they need to empty the pool.

That's logical enough, but How was I to know without asking?

My questions were answered by two women, jointly, one standing and one sitting.  The younger woman sat with her elbows resting on the counter, chewing gum.  That body language suggests a very relaxed atmosphere.  Fine, but is it really a hardship to answer my questions?

Overall, I would say the message that was communicated to me was:  "What!? Are you an idiot?  Don't you know how to read?  We've got sounds all over the place..."
In other words, my questions were tolerated.  I got the feeling that (they thought) I was being a nuisance...

Yeah, but your signs are not so clear...and, anyway, what was it you were doing when I interrupted you?  Chewing gum, resting your head on the counter, and staring into space, or watching "reality TV"?

taka drzost!

I am starting to think:  ordinary citizens of the USA are so frustrated and powerless that they need to take it out on a person asking an innocent question?  

I've experienced such rudeness before.  UK citizens seem to think that it is commonplace in what they call "Eastern Europe."  Yes, I've met rude, aggressive ladies working in grocery stores, or official offices---people with an amazingly developed skill of regarding you as if you were an insect that needed to be squashed rather than a human being on the same level as them...........But I don't expect that in the USA, especially not at the local swimming hole.  Call me naive.

(I don't think things are as bad in Central Europe as Brit's make out; but, then again, I'm not from the UK, and they may have special conventions....)

No comments:

Post a Comment