Friday, January 20, 2012

how to waste a life

How to waste your life? Drive a car.

Today I had to go to the other end of town (the other side of the mountain).

I wanted to avoid driving on the freeway with some idiot behind me at 65 mph riding
my tail, and another to my left, and another in front. I don't see why they can't comprehend
that this style of living is intrinsically dangerous. I see nothing good in it. Nothing.

So, I went the long way around. And I drove at 45 or 50 mph on a long road, with traffic going two ways, and innumerable shitty little shops all on the left side of the road. Dubious quasi-Mexican restaurants. Faux adobes. And numerous shops for wrecked cars, wrecking cars, auto parts, and oil changes. Some people would not know what to do with themselves if cars were banned. (I think that's a good idea. Get rid of cars. NOW)

This trip was unlike my frightening journeys on the s0-called "freeway"; it was slower, so, perhaps a bit safer. But there's always the stress of driving, looking, watching, avoiding. Tension without rest. A waste of time. That's what I call it.

GET ME OUT OF HERE

To the extent that the citizens of the USA love their cars they are in love with their own grave-diggers.

No comments:

Post a Comment