Friday, March 27, 2015

The Internet is One Big Tax Form

The Anthropologist David Graeber has written some interesting things.  I'm not completely overwhelmed by everything he's written that I've read, but I do respect him.

On the other hand, recently I read something where he was asking how many hours we waste filling in forms.

He seems to miss the point that the Internet is increasingly a series of small boxes that we've got to fill out following someone else's rules.  And it is a nightmare.  As if every day had become tax day.

It is possible that there are classes among Internet users.  Maybe some individuals (University Professors) spend less of their time having the Internet rammed down their throat.

But as I hunt among too-small boxes with excessive redundant and unwanted information, trying simply to get the information an old fashioned paper map conveys with ease, I would like to curse and smash my laptop to pieces.  (I am trying to find out which bus I should take to go to a nearby company where I am supposed to teach English.) The Internet ain't fun when we use it for work which is forced upon us by the need to survive.  

No comments:

Post a Comment