Monday, March 2, 2015

factories

people who work in factories deserve no less respect than the rest of us.

But I don't think that when I go shopping, I am doing much more than surviving and contributing to the unearned wealth of another person.  In the Czech REpublic, as often as not that person getting rich off my life is a German, or a Brit....but usually not Czech.

So if I complain when I'm shopping at Lidl that I am obviously not experienced enough in assembly line work, that's because it is unpleasant to be constantly disciplined via speed-up.

In fact, I don't think hospitals are or should be factories, and I don't think factories should be factories.
That's to say that I think a more humane way of producing the goods we all need is possible.
And that's not a criticism of those who work in factories.
They deserve better than they have.
And I don't think I belong to a special class of people who have escaped factory work because I deserve it.  I was just lucky.

This is by way of apology to a man who overheard me complaining in Lidl.

No comments:

Post a Comment