Thursday, May 9, 2013

woolly

Recently I heard someone above me in the local chain-of-command speak dismissively, almost contemptuously about "anarchism".

Perhaps they had in mind the style---black clothes and a dog on a string....

Nonetheless, I was thinking about what I saw recently on "DemocracyNow"....
Generals and other important persons talking about sexual abuse in the military...

And, you could see:  they just don't get it.

But the emotions are interesting and complex:  frustration, wounded pride, etc.

And today I thought to myself:  The army always being one of the least democratic institutions in the world, the most hierarchical, that sort of reaction is just what an anarchist would predict.

I wanted to say:  That's just what anarchist theory would predict, but I know that the collection of views associated with the term are a bit woolly, hence maybe "theory" would be inaccurate.
Nonetheless, if you think self-government, autonomy, and human creativity go together, then
you wouldn't be surprised by what's going on today in the USA with the military.......Hierarchical structures inevitably produce a sort of stupidity and blindness, with a corresponding set of emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment